Wednesday, August 13, 2014

ARE YOU A LEADER OR A MANAGER?

As I complete my fourth week as your Chamber President & CEO, I've had the opportunity to listen extensively to many voices with thoughts, opinions and directional suggestions for the Texarkana Chamber of Commerce.  It’s a great gift to be in this position…to be able to listen to what people have to say and to encourage them to say what’s on their mind.  I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to call, stop buy or meet with me formally.  “My listening tour” continues, and I encourage any partner that wants to chat with me to call the office and set up some time or to give me a ring on my cell phone at (903) 278-2886.  I especially want to hear from you if you are a “fallen away” partner.  We want you back.

While I begin to assimilate these ideas into future proposed plans of action for the staff and the partnership, it gave me some time to think about how I want to provide leadership to this organization.  It also gave me the opportunity to revisit good leadership models and to refresh my own perspective.  In that search, I came across this video.  Scott Williams does a fantastic job of motivating the question:  “Are you a Leader or a Manager?”, and he addresses why you might want to think about this question.  Please take 5 minutes to get a tune up on this important professional development concept and let me know what you think about it by commenting on this blog, posting a comment to Facebook or messaging me.  Share this with others who might benefit.


It’s a great day at the Texarkana Chamber!  I hope you have one wherever you are!

-Bill Cork

No comments:

Post a Comment